Friday, December 26, 2014

Boutique Shopping

I make it a point to shop the local lingerie boutiques whenever possible.  Not only is it a great way to help out the business venture of someone who shares my passion for lingerie, but it’s an excellent alternative to the huge lingerie chain(s) that lazily push mostly mass-produced crap at you (not that I have anyone in particular in mind). 

But perhaps the real bonus of shopping the boutique style shops over the huge retail chains is that you get to know designers you otherwise would never have heard of.  A good clothing boutique (lingerie or otherwise) can appreciate running a business where the economic factors are stacked against you and will want to help out others along the supply chain that facing similar odds against them. * 

The large retail chains (again, no one particular in mind) is just interested in getting you to leave their store with as many of their mass-produced units as possible…which is why they’re always offering you “Buy 2 $35 bras for $49.50”, or “Buy 5 $8.50 panties for $26.50” deals.  It’s so cheap for them to make, and the margin so high, that they’ll have you leaving the store thinking you got something for half off, or a couple of things for free.

Nobody starts out a business venture to go broke, of course.  But if you’re opening up a lingerie-related small business, it’s highly likely you’re doing it out of a passion for lingerie, not a desire to get rich.  In most cases, if you’re earning a living, you’re doing well.
But is that good enough? 
Fine lingerie is a luxury, of course.  But where does that money go?  In many cases, some of it goes to the shop keeper who thinks you, just for dropping (or logging) in, deserves something that sets you apart from the long lines at the mall.  Some of it goes to the designer, who created each piece in accordance to a vision that continues to inspire her or those who hand-crafted that vision into something personal for you, instead of producing it for the masses.
These people, these designers, these brands, they are here because they know we all deserve better.  Without them, we’re left without choices, without the ability to find what inspires us, rather than what someone else says we should have.
With that in mind, I’m back to try to express what inspires me.  I promise to get off my soapbox now, and keep this blog light, like I think the original one was.  Over the past few years, I’ve come across so much amazing lingerie and hosiery, while all along never forgetting my old favorites.  I’ve missed having this outlet to share what I’m loving with others, and I’m glad to be back.  In the weeks and months ahead, I’m going to try and keep in mind why I came back here.  I know I’ll have so many amazing things to share, and I can’t wait to get started…

*And that is the extent of what I learned after many years and tens of thousands of dollars in business school.  All right there.  I blew it all on one post.

3 comments:

  1. I hope your Christmas was amazing! All those pretty little things hanging in the shop! Want! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, your blog is one of the places that exposed me to lingerie that wasn't Victoria's Secret - and I've always appreciated you for that. Your knowledge and excitement about lovely underthings is truly catching - and I am so excited that you have returned!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a local lingerie boutique that I shop from. Of course, not ALL my lingerie comes from them, because I could easily spend $700 that I don't have there. But I try to purchase from them whenever I can afford it. The service is suburb, there aren't any pushes to try and get me to open a credit card, and I usually have one on one help from the owner. I tell every man (and woman) who asks about lingerie to go there. I can't think of something that makes me feel more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete